Helen's Hungarian Heritage Recipes

Helen's Hungarian Heritage Recipes
Chef Ilona Szabo Reveals The Secrets of Hungarian Cooking

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Evangeline Mackell was crowned Miss Halton Region 2009


A proud mom never misses an opportunity to share great news and exciting things about her family. Well - this is my chance to boast. The graphic designer and photographer of Helen's Hungarian Heritage Recipes (my cookbook) is none other than my lovely daughter - Evangeline Mackell.
This past month, she was crowned Miss Halton Region 2009 - a big honour in and of itself, but to top if off - this little lady competed in a pageant with 72 others girls from across our great nation of Canada and placed in the TOP TEN overall! It just shows you that money doesn't always have to do the talking... beauty, talent and artisitic ability can too!

Here's to a wonderful memory that will be cherished forever. Below is the write-up from the Oakville Beaver newspaper.

Poet competes for Miss Canada Globe title
Arts & Entertainment
Aug 14, 2009
Evangeline Mackell has never been in a beauty pageant in her life, but that is all about to change as she competes for Miss Canada Globe later this month. The 26-year-old Oakville resident has done some modeling in the past, but she said she never thought to enter a beauty pageant.
That all changed through a chance meeting with the executive director of the Miss Canada Globe Pageant.
Following an application and interview process, Mackell was the lucky woman chosen as Miss Halton Region. “I was surrounded by 30 of the most beautiful girls, like Miss Mississauga and Miss Toronto, and we were sitting and watching everyone get crowned and I was elated,” she said. “I never expected anything like this.” Mackell said the timing was extremely lucky, as 26 is the age cutoff for the contestants. The pageant is in Toronto from Aug. 21-23.
Contestants will be judged in several different categories, such as evening gown, swimsuit, talent and interview. While the thought of wearing a bathing suit in a contest may make some women shudder, Mackell said she isn’t worried about this component. “I have been working out and training and have quite an athletic physique, so I’m not really nervous to be in a swimsuit,” she said. “I’m more worried about walking on four-and-a-half inch heels, which is a standard shoe for the pageant.”
She said her talent may also give her an edge. “I do live poetry, so I am reading my own poem that is really amazing that I wrote a couple of years ago called Beauty Beyond Obvious that I think will fit the bill,” Mackell said. “I’m going to try to bring as much of my artistic expression into the competition as I can.”
Mackell hopes the pageant will give her business a boost. She is a freelance graphic designer and photographer who also runs her own greeting card company called Design in Bloom ( http://www.designinbloom.ca/ ).
“As an artist, I need to have people know who I am,” she said. “I want to break the starving artist cliché and I feel this might be my big break. Even just to make some amazing connections and expand my network and have everyone know what I do. Maybe they’ll go to my website and see all my prints and pictures, and who knows what could come of that.”

(For more info - please check at the web below)

No comments: