Hungarian Non Plus Ultra Cookie Recipe.
Just in time for Easter
Here's a larger photo of Hungarian Non Plus Ultra Cookies.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Dough must be refrigerated: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: 48 Non Plus Ultra Cookies
- 1 pound (4 sticks) room-temperature butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 extra-large egg, separated
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- Coarse sugar
- Apricot lekvar or black currant jam
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in egg yolk. Add flour one cup at a time, mixing until thoroughly incorporated. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place rack in center of oven and heat to 350 degrees. Remove dough from refrigerator. Roll to 1/8-inch thickness between two pieces of parchment paper. Working quickly so dough doesn't get too soft, use a round or scalloped 2-inch cutter for cookies. Cut an equal number of plain cookies and ones with the centers removed (as for linzer cookies). Remove scraps, form into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate. Grab the parchment paper containing the cut cookies by opposite corners, and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Brush tops of cookies with centers cut out with beaten egg white. Sprinkle with almonds and coarse sugar. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly golden on the bottom. Remove from oven and cool slightly. While cookies are still slightly warm, sandwich them together with a thin layer of lekvar or jam. Repeat with remaining dough. Store in an airtight container or freeze.