Helen's Hungarian Heritage Recipes

Helen's Hungarian Heritage Recipes
Chef Ilona Szabo Reveals The Secrets of Hungarian Cooking

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hot Hungarian Chef makes Boeuf A la Bourguignonne!

Boeuf A la Bourguignonne

Did something very NON-HUNGARIAN this weekend. Actually very French! But then, I am from Quebec - it's allowed - yes?

I prepared the famous Boeuf A la Bourguignonne which is French for Beef stew in Red wine, with bacon, pearl onions and mushrooms. I think Julia Child had to be the one who pushed the fame of this one over the top. As a pedigree Hunky, the onions, and bacon weren't hard to deal with. We all know that. Nor was the wine. Actually the mushrooms and carrots made it even more lovely.

As is the case with most famous dishes, there are more ways than one to arrive at a good Boeuf Bourguignon. Carefully done, and perfectly flavoured, it is certainly one of the most delicious beef dishes concocted by man. Wasn't it Madame Benoit who said, ”A recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation.”

I chose a gorgeous home-made burgundy red for my recipe and it was perfection on a plate. The only variation that I used was sirloin instead of chuck/rump which was ready in 1/3 the time.

We were very pleased with the results. It's now part of my cooking repertoire.
 
The Hot Hungarians do it again!

The photo turned out good enough to eat.
For the full recipe, please email me.
Happy to share.


No comments: